Sunday, April 4, 2010

Shoeless Jo(nah)!

Last night, under the cover of darkness, I ran barefoot – almost. I wore socks. I guess that’s about as minimalist as footwear can get. It was a short run – three miles.

I wore socks not so much for the slight protection they provide from bits and sticks on the road/sidewalk, but so that it wasn’t so obvious to those few people around that I was running barefoot. I chose dark socks for stealth-ness.

As it turns out, running in socks is also stealth in that it is very quiet. It makes for a nice quiet evening of running – ghosting along.

The run felt good, right, natural… duh. A bit blistery at the front of the foot but in time I think that can be adjusted to, especially if I get onto a trail.

Water on the sidewalk from some sprinklers was an unexpected obstacle. The feet got wet briefly but felt nice, cool. I wonder if that encouraged the blistering slightly.

A couple days ago I had a slight tweak in my left ankle/Achilles. I iced it after yesterday’s first run in the morning. It does seem odd to try the first “barefoot” running experiment on a tweaked ankle, but when the Spirit calls…

I look forward to trying this again…

2 comments:

mindful mule said...

For those of you who don’t remember Shoeless Joe.

amidnightrider said...

RYN. I'm back on my bike but Brandon will have to wait for his to be released from ICU. If it can be fixed. It's all in Mr. Wizzard's hands at the bike shop now.