Friday, January 9, 2009

not cold feet but blinded

I rode for a couple hours last night. It was about 50 degrees and I didn’t get cold feet. This is pretty amazing. I usually get cold feet anytime it dips below 72 degrees (joking, but not far off.) So, what was different? I wore my bike shoes around for about an hour before the ride. I also didn’t tighten the straps down as tight as I usually do (I think this is what made the difference.) I also moved my seat forward to compensate for raising it months ago (3 out of five seats moved forward now – 7mm each – why wait so long???) What does the seat have to do with my feet? Well, I think it’s a circulation thing – blood flow, you know… Also, I wore thin wool socks. It’s really nice to ride with comfy feet.

A friend of mine recently pointed out to me that my red blinky light wasn’t very bright. I looked at it and it was still blinking so I figured it was fine. Blink is blink. Last night my front headlight ran out of batteries (on a foggy night on San Fernando Rd – I know that name is meaningless to all of you, but let’s just say that it’s not a very bike friendly place – not the place to lose your lights.) When I got home I recharged my headlight batteries and decided I might as well change the blinky light batteries while I was at it even though I could see the lights blinking in the lighted kitchen just fine a few inches from my face. I put in freshly juiced batteries and hit the switch again (holding the light in the same position in front of my face as before – finally a good control for one of my experiments.) Red! Blinky! Light! Oh, my god, that’s bright in the eyes. Apparently not all blink is blink. I guess I’ve been too invisible for the last few weeks, months…

No comments: