Thursday, March 20, 2008

arroyo tour

I was a little worried this morning that I hadn’t been running all week and that the upturning trend from last week could lose its momentum and I could slide back down into the realms of three to six mile weeks, which is actually not bad, many would even call it good or great, but it’s not what I want for my life right now.

So I dragged myself into the running kit thinking I’d at least get the week started with an easy three or maybe seven if everything came together.

And then I had to keep stopping to give people directions to the freeway and I thought maybe I should just turn around and go home since my whole rhythm was off. Note to horseless carriage drivers: Bugger off! I’m running here!

But something inside just wouldn’t let me turn around and pretty soon I’d ditched the buggies for the trails so I kept running for what turned out to be a three-hour tour of the arroyo – up to the Brown Trailhead, more or less - actually, a little more. I was pretty tired out by the end, which was about the time I started thinking about burritos - usually those thoughts start to surface within the first hour. I didn’t have anything other than water during the run since I didn’t expect to be going so far, but I did focus on drinking more water than usual from each fountain I came across. This seemed to help.

Oh, and Happy Spring!

2 comments:

amidnightrider said...

When little kids ask for money for their team, or school or things like that, out front of the supermarket, I say, "I'm from Canada". The confusion lasts just long enough for me to get away.

It would surely work on directions to the freeway too.

mindful mule said...

Ha! I love it...