Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Devil’s Gate and Coastal Sagebrush

I ran up to Devil’s Gate Dam again yesterday. Well, almost to it. Water from our recent downpours (seven inches last week) was being discharged from the bottom of the dam and flooding the stream that I need to cross to get to the last climb that leads to the top of the dam and the pedestrian/equestrian tunnel through it. The high water only cut about a half-mile off of my run, but I do like to be able to run through that dark tunnel and emerge on the other side with a brightly framed view towards Brown Mountain.

I’ve recently discovered that Coastal Sagebrush (Artemisia californica) can provide a refreshing pick-me-up for tired runners, bikers, or passersby of any kind. The scent is strong and almost mint-like. All you have to do is brush your hands through it as you pass by and bring your hands up to your nose to experience its recharging scent.

No comments: