Tuesday, November 27, 2007

degrees of sameness

Last week I went for a run in Montana when the temperature was about 25 degrees. Today I went for a run in California when the temperature was about 65 degrees. Both days were mostly sunny with no wind. By the end of each of these runs I felt equally warm. Of course, I was a little cold at the beginning of the Montana run and I was dressed a little more for cold, but still I felt warm after about 15 minutes of running - just about the same amount of time that it takes me to start sweating on a “normal” day like today or even a hotter day. I’m a bit surprised by this 15-minute sameness over variable temperatures…

(Of course, 25 degrees with sun and no wind isn’t that extreme, and there are variable limits to what we consider comfortable – rain and 50 degrees is probably much worse – especially with wind – hence, “the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Francisco”)

No comments: