Monday, October 15, 2007

locked up

My Kryptonite cable lock has died at the age of 5 (maybe?). A couple nights ago it froze in the locked position as it was securing my bike to a railing. Luckily, after a few minutes of coaxing and praying it released one last time. It didn’t give much of a warning that it was about to stay closed forever. The last time I unlocked it, it was a little sticky – that’s all. I thought it might just need a little oil to get it going again, but no. It is gone, and even if the oil helped, I’d have a hard time trusting it to unlock when I needed it to.

The last few days I’ve been using an old U-lock (a.k.a. a D-lock in Australia, which makes a little more sense to me – I once “translated” a bike safety pamphlet from Australian into American.) This U-lock is very old. I think it might even be one of those models that you can apparently open with a ballpoint pen, or something – is that urban myth? I’m sure no one remembers how to do that anymore anyway.

So, I guess I’m in the market for a new lock. I can’t decide if I should go thin and light or not. I mean, it seems to me, thin is okay if you’re just dropping in somewhere for a pint or a burrito, right? A thin, light lock might be easier to break or cut, but someone still has to come along with something that will break or cut it and the intention/inclination to do such a thing.

For now, the old U-lock is fine, but it limits the places I can lock up to – no big trees or light posts.

a nice note from Hilary before last weekend’s ride:


p.s. – Hi Becca and Tara

Last Week:
Run: 21 = 7+(7+7)
Bike: 113 = (3+2)+(2+8)+(18+7)+13+14+(20+26)
Burrito: 3
Beer: 19 = 1+3+7+1+6+2 (Octoberfest, you know)
Car: 3 (pizza delivery)

1 comment:

amidnightrider said...

When you finish the Metal Cowboy, try "The Handsomest Man in Cuba".

I read it while I was touring, which made it all the more intriguing.