Wednesday, August 8, 2007

temporary loss of momentum

I finally went for my first run of the week this evening with Hilary – just a short one. That and a couple of short rides around town to the hardware store, the grocery store, and city hall for a city council meeting (see next paragraph). It’s been a pretty lazy week. This seems fine, though. I’ve been pretty active the last few weeks, so maybe this is just the natural ebb and flow thing. I’ll probably still manage to get in another couple easy runs and maybe a Brown Mtn ride before heading east for a wedding and some travel.

Pasadena is trying to ban the peloton ride around the Rose Bowl loop that has taken place twice a week for many years. “They” say it is dangerous. Their solution is to make it illegal for bicyclists to ride more than two abreast on city streets. This would also impact almost any group ride. This is not what bicycling needs right now. Very strange timing, too, since the Tour of California is supposed to be coming here in February to ride in a peloton around the very same Rose Bowl loop. I wonder if professional cyclists get their citations paid for by their sponsors…

I’ll post again in a couple weeks.
Ride happy…

2 comments:

amidnightrider said...

I always wonder why they even think about banning bikes from streets. Probably one guy got slowed down and lost 20 seconds during his commute.

shawnkielty said...

I had a guy in a car tell me that I didn't have the right to be on the road. He was a jerk.

Driving is a priveledge, alas. But, I have a right to ride a bike.

A right.