Tuesday, October 6, 2009

some silver lining

Despite the fact that I’m totally crushed about the Brown Mountain closure, this may be the impetus I needed to explore other areas in the mountains.

As I mentioned before, there are a few trails still open. Today I rode up to Henninger Flats. It’s a very steep ride up the Mount Wilson Toll Road (dirt) (toll free since 1936.) Used the granny gear all the way up. The last time I rode up there was probably about 1995 – on a very young Mindful Mule, of course, which I also rode today – a reunion of sorts.

I only went up about three miles but the dirt road continues up to Mount Wilson – I think another six miles or so. I don’t know yet if it’s open all the way to the top.

Also, I still need to study a few maps, but I think there might be a way to link from Henninger back around through Inspiration Point and down to Echo Mountain.

So, there’s still a few possibilities for running and riding up in the mountains.

No comments: