Sunday, April 27, 2008

eat drink and be merry

Day 12: Day Twelve! I get to eat soup tonight! Twelve days without solid food has been a very interesting experience. It makes me realize how much my daily life revolves around meals. Social life is especially tangled up with food and alcohol. I’ve been a bit of a hermit over the past couple weeks because who wants to go to a bar with your friends and drink water? Well, I finally did that last night to celebrate the end of it all. It’s not quite the same nightlife experience when you’re drinking oj from a bike bottle and ice water but it was nice to see some folks.

Yesterday was very hot – about 95. Went on a CICLE ride at the hottest part of the day. It was an easy, short ride mostly focused on getting other people comfortable with riding bikes in traffic, but I ended up riding around quite a lot before and after, too. I think I got a little dehydrated, but I was pretty amazed at my energy level after no food for so long.

People tell me I’m crazy or determined or something to be able to cleanse for so long, but really it’s pretty easy. Once you decide to do it, it just happens. Feelings of hunger level off very quickly. At this point I feel like I could continue for several more days if I wanted. But no thank you, I think I’ll eat…

No comments: