Wednesday, November 7, 2007

haunted legs

I went out on a good long run today up through the Arroyo Seco to the (closed) forest. I didn’t have a conscious plan to go that far so I neglected to bring along any extra Halloween treats to sustain me. The (closed) forest is about eight miles away or so. I’m kind of a slow poke these days, so this took me quite a while, and when I finally got back I was pretty much wrecked. I’ve got to get better about planning nutrition on longer runs. At least there are three drinking fountains along that route for water.

Lately, after longer runs I’ve been having the haunted leg syndrome. It’s really cool. About an hour after the run my calves start undulating. It’s a very slight wave-like movement that continues for a few hours. It looks like dozens of tiny little aliens are running around inside my legs. Maybe it’s leftover nerve impulses firing through the muscles or repair going on. Whatever it is, it’s totally awesome to watch. I wish I could describe it better, or could get it on video. Hopefully it’s not something that’s going to be made into an episode of House.

No comments: